The Namibian Agricultural Trade Forum (ATF) represents an association of the leading stakeholders in the Namibian agricultural sector, including producers and processor organisations along the entire agricultural value chain, marketing boards and agriculture unions.
The ATF was founded in 1999 as a loose association of interested stakeholders in the private agricultural sector with active concerns in trade issues. Over time, the ATF became the mouthpiece on trade-related issues for the entire value adding chain of agricultural products, with participation from producers and processor organisations, marketing boards, research institutions and representatives of the line ministries.
This led to the formalisation of the ATF, which in 2003 was registered as an incorporated association not for gain. The ATF is financed by its members, the private agricultural sector, who pay annual contributions and membership fees.
- Becoming the acknowledged voice of the agricultural private sector on trade and trade-related matters in Namibia.
- Formulating and presenting the opinions and negotiation proposals of the private agricultural sector in trade and trade-related matters to the line Ministries involved in trade negotiations and agreements.
- Providing inputs into the formulation and implementation of agricultural development aspects of existing or to be negotiated trade agreements in the framework of successive National Development Plans and the Agricultural Policy of Namibia.
- Providing inputs into the negotiation process of the relevant Ministries and to provide backstopping support in trade negotiations.
- Keeping the agricultural private sector informed regarding opportunities and threats posed by existing or new trade agreements.
- Promoting close cooperation with relevant Ministries, Diplomatic Corps, Regional Economic Communities, Trade Unions and other trade organisations in order to further the aims of the ATF.
- Encouraging all persons, associations and companies, involved in the agricultural private sector, to become members of the ATF and to actively support its aims and objectives.